Skip to the content

What Is The Difference Between Water Damage And A Flood? Are They Both Covered?

Most home owners do not understand the difference between water damage and flood damage. Water damage is covered under your homeowner’s policy, and includes water damage and flooding due to overflowing tubs or sinks, faulty plumbing, defunct appliances, or similar home accidents. Water damage is also covered when it is caused by a rood leak or window leak ad water from a storm enters the home.

Flood damage is not covered by a standard homeowners policy. It is considered flood damage when the water comes from a natural source, hits the ground and accumulates, and then enters the home. In general, water damage differs from flood damage in that it occurs before the water comes in contact with the ground outside, and there is usually more than one property in the neighborhood affected.
In order for you to protect yourself against flood damage, a separate and additional flood policy is necessary.


When the time comes, having the right personal insurance coverage can make all the difference in the world for you and your business.